Producer Licensing Bureau

Producer Licensing Bureau

The Producer Licensing Bureau is responsible for the licensing and regulation of individuals and businesses who conduct insurance business in the state of New Mexico. To protect insurance consumers the bureau determines the qualifications and eligibility of applicants and processes license applications, company appointments by insurers, renewals, banking of continuing education credits, and approval of pre-licensing and continuing education courses.

Click here for the new Surety Bond form for Independent and Public Adjusters

Effective 7/1/2019 Self Service Storage Insurance Producer License

In 2016 the New Mexico Legislature enacted new laws that make significant changes to the way individuals and business will be licensed in New Mexico. The new laws and conversion to a new licensing system, State Based Systems (SBS), are intended to streamline the licensing process. July 1, 2017, is the effective date for the new laws to take effect and the conversion to the new licensing system.

The information provided below is intended to assist licensees by providing information and guidelines regarding the new licensing laws. You are urged to familiarize yourself with the new laws and licensing procedures.

Click here to access Affiliate Renewals

Lines of Authority

Article 7 – Kinds of Insurance
To bring New Mexico into conformity with national uniform standards and to
streamline processes, New Mexico will now have six major lines of authority and four limited lines. The major lines of authority are Life and Annuity, Accident and Health or Sickness, Property, Casualty, Variable Life and Variable Annuity, and Personal Lines. The limited lines of authority areLines of Authority beginning July 2017 Credit, Crop, Travel, and Title.
Descriptions of the lines have been replaced in the statute by a list of those types of insurance that fall under each of the six lines of authority. See §59A-7-1 through 7-9 NMSA 1978.

License Offerings Effective July 1, 2017

Due to changes in the law and conformity with national uniformity standards, some of our current license types will be converting to the new license types  License Types Effective July 2017

Insurance License Exam Information

Office of Superintendent of Insurance has contracted with Prometric to conduct its examination program. Prometric provides computerized testing through the multistate Prometric Testing Network.

Individuals may schedule their examinations with Prometric either online or by telephone. Instructions for scheduling examinations are posted on Prometric’s website.

Direct questions and requests for information about exams to:

7941 Corporate Drive
Nottingham, MD 21236
Phone: 800-813-6737


Possible Reimbursement for Veterans

Qualifying veterans may be eligible for reimbursement of the cost of the exam from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. The reimbursement form (VA form 22-0803) and additional information about Licensing and Certification Testing can be found on the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs website. Please follow the instructions on the form on how to file your claim. If you have questions or need assistance with the form, call the VA toll-free at 1-888-442-4551.

Apply for Your License
  • Once you have passed your license exam, you can apply for your insurance license.
  • You must submit license applications through the NIPR electronic licensing system at
  • If you answer “Yes” to a background question on the application, submit your written statement accompanied by corresponding official court documents using the Attachments Warehouse.
  • New Mexico residents and anyone designating New Mexico as the home state (DHS) must be fingerprinted as part of the application process. The FBI and DPS will send fingerprint results electronically to the Producer Licensing Bureau.
  • Independent and Public Adjusters must submit a $10,000 surety bond. The bond must be received within 10 days from the date of application.

Please note that your license application will be considered incomplete and will be denied if not all the above are on file upon review of you application. This will require new application fees.

Please click the Provider and course requirements link for further information.

Important Notices(s)
Renewal Instructions
Individual License Renewal


Company Appointment Renewals
  • Click here for appointment renewals
Business Entity Renewal Information

Q: What is the difference between an Agent and a Broker?

A: An Agent represents an insurer and a Broker represents an insured.


Q: What is the difference between an Agent and a Solicitor?

A: An Agent is sponsored/appointed by an insurer. A Solicitor is sponsored/appointed by an Agent.


Q: What is the difference between a Broker and an Adjuster?

A: An Adjuster settles claims for an insurer. A Broker represents an insured usually by procuring tailored specific insurance coverages.


Q: Do Corporations/Partnerships have to register with the New Mexico Secretary of States Office prior to being licensed with Agents Licensing?

A:  Yes.


Q: Do Resident Agents switching from a Non Resident license to a Resident license have to take the New Mexico Insurance Examination?

A: Yes.


Q: Does a Third Party Administrator have to be licensed in the State of New Mexico if the entity only handles a limited portion of the claims process?

A: Yes.


Q: Does an individual applying for a Resident Agent license with a CLU designation have to take the New Mexico Insurance Examination?

A: No.


Q: If a Producer/Agent assigns his commissions to an Agency, does the Agency need to be licensed in the State of New Mexico as well?

 A: Yes.


Q: For an Agency Name Change or Change of Federal ID Number, do you have to make changes with the Secretary of States Office first prior to submitting paperwork to Agents Licensing?

A: Yes


Q: Are Viatical Brokers regulated and have existing license requirements?

 A: Yes


Q: Does the Life License qualify for Viatical Broker Licensure? Or is there a specific license type?

 A: Yes, however, if you are not licensed for Life, you must take the Life Examination.

Additional Resources


Contact the Producer Licensing Bureau

Mailing Address:

Producer Licensing Bureau,
PO Box 1689,
Santa Fe, NM 87504

Overnight Deliveries:

Producer Licensing Bureau,
1120 Paseo de Peralta, RM 331
Santa Fe, NM 87501

Submit a direct query

Need further assistance, reach us here!
Phone: 505-827-4554

Phone: 1-855-4ASK-OSI (1-855-427-5674)
1120 Paseo de Peralta, Suite 428
Santa Fe, NM 87501