Finger Print Requirements
Notice to all Applicants Regarding Background Checks (Effective January 1, 2014)
Pursuant to Article 59A-11-2(E), the Superintendent of Insurance may require a criminal history background investigation of the applicant for a license by means of fingerprint checks by the department of public safety and the federal bureau of investigation. Pursuant to Article 59A-11-2(F), the Superintendent of Insurance may obtain from the department of public safety and the federal bureau of investigation, at the expense of the applicant for a license, criminal history information concerning each applicant, using the applicant’s fingerprints or other identifying information. The information shall be used by the Superintendent solely in determining whether to grant the application
Based on this statutory authority, all resident applicants for a license MUST be fingerprinted as part of the application process.
New Mexico Department of Public Safety (DPS) has partnered with 3M Cogent to provide fingerprint services. All applicants must register prior to being fingerprinted. Applicant must attach a copy of the 3M Cogent Proof of Fingerprint Submission Receipt to their license application.
Your license application will be considered incomplete and will not be processed if the 3M Cogent Proof of Fingerprint Submission Receipt is not submitted.
PLEASE NOTE THAT THE PRODUCER LICENSING BUREAU DOES NOT CONSIDER THE APPLICATION COMPLETE UNTIL THE BACKGROUND CHECK PROCESS IS COMPLETED.
The ORI Number for Office of Superintendent of Insurance (OSI) is NM920210Z.
New Mexico Applicant Processing Service Process Overview
All applicants must register prior to being fingerprinted. You must be fingerprinted within 90 days of registration.
All Other Applicants (Not Department of Health)
- The facility/agency or applicant must register with 3M Cogent here! Choose New Mexico and then click Register Online for a Background Check.
- After registration is complete, the applicant will receive a Registration ID Number.
- While online registration is the preferred registration method, telephone registration is also available: 1-877-99NMAPS (1-877-996-6277).
- Fingerprint sites are listed at Cogentid >> New Mexico >> Fingerprint Location Map.
- Appointments are not required..
- Applicants may visit any fingerprinting location during any of the site’s scheduled fingerprinting hours. Check the website for hours.
- Bring your Registration ID or Document Control Number (Department of Health applicants) and a valid photo ID.
- If you are paying by money order, bring a money order made out to 3M Cogent.
- Background check results will be sent directly to your employer.
- 3M Cogent does not have access to background check results or make employment determinations.
- Please check with your employer regarding your background check results.